v11.0 [25 May 2021]
- The software has been renamed from Foxit Reader to Foxit PDF Reader.
- The user interface is now simpler, clearer, and more intuitive to improve efficiency and productivity.
- Redesign the overall interface, including icons, the ribbon, and panels, with simple appearances and clear function arrangement.
- Discard the Arrange tab and Format tab that appear on the ribbon when you annotate. Instead, a Format tab appears in the right panel when you make comments.
- We now provide the Share function on the File page.
- The software update workflows have been redesigned to offer tips and guidance, to improve usability.
- Support more 3D functions.
- View PRC format 3D PDF files.
- Add (2D) comments to a 3D model, or convert 3D measurements to comments.
- Enhanced the 3D measurement tool with radius measurement support, and provide Snap To options that can help you to precisely position the elements of 3D content you want to measure.
- Digital signature enhancements
- Support EUTL (European Union Trusted Lists) certificates for convenient signature validation
- Provide an option to customize the logo (Foxit PDF Editor icon by default) shown on digital signature appearances.
- More seamless integration with ECM
- Various enhancements in SharePoint integration. For example, when saving a PDF document in a SharePoint library that is configured with Content Types, enable users to change the document content type, and access and edit the metadata related to content type.
- Offers more text patterns (like IBAN and Driving License Number) and countries in the Search panel.
- Adjust the login Ul for easier access to your DocuSign account, and allow login using your corporate SSO.
- Provide more settings for enterprise deployment using GPO (Group Policy) or FCW (Foxit Customization Wizard).
- Show the number of files contained in the folder in PDF portfolios. Users can work with PDF files directly in the portfolio preview pane.
- (MSI Package Only) Classify and protect with labels in Microsoft Azure Information Protection (AIP)
- The feature is helpful for enterprises to classify and protect documents by applying labels that are configured by administrators with protection settings such as which people can read and use protected documents.
- Other enhancements to the user experience.
v10.1 [28 Sep 2020]
Improvements in Foxit Reader 10.1.0.37527:
- Provides an enhanced 3D plugin that delivers new and enhanced features.
- Easily navigate, view, comment, and measure 3D content through the 3D toolbar or by right-clicking on PDF content.
- Adds more 3D navigation tools like Spin, Walk, and Fly.
- Provides more tools to add 3D comments and measurements.
- More options to set different visual effects and create different views.
- Supports to display 3D PDF files in PRC format.
- Streamlines and improves the update process of Reader.
- Other enhancements to the user experience.
Issues Addressed in Foxit Reader 10.1.0.37527:
- Fixed some security and stability issues.
v10.0 [23 Dec 2011]
New Features and Improvements in Foxit Reader 10.0.0.35798:
- Fill & Sign.
- Fill & Sign provides a convenient workflow of filling flat forms (i.e. non-interactive) and quick signing by typing or drawing your signature, or using an image. With the Fill & Sign tools, you can add text and other symbols anywhere on a flat form.
- Better support for 4K and other high-resolution displays.
- Automatically search all instances of a text string and then highlight them.
- More preference options for Advanced Search.
- A new option to make subsequent searches faster by storing a cache of information from PDF files that you search.
- Support proximity searching, which searches for two or more words that are separated by no more than a certain number of words. The feature is useful when you are looking for concepts that might be expressed by multiple different phrases.
- More advanced options allow you to find words that share the same word stem of the specified search word, or ignore Asian character width, diacritics, and accents.
- Display all comments in a desired font for better accessibility.
- Users can choose the desired font and font size for all comments in all documents they read, overriding the document’s settings.
- Additional GPO settings for enterprise administration (MSI package only).
- New capabilities include locking down some additional settings, such as default PDF viewer and ability to create self-signed digital IDs.
- Support for using, not creating, the new form fields in PhantomPDF 10.
- Field type support includes barcode, date, and image form fields.
- Multiple enhancements to bookmark editing and reading.
- Multiple enhancements to tag reading.
- Support Hindi Digits to allow you to input numbers in Hindi.
- Foxit Update Server (a separately orderable cloud-based service) provides IT the ability to better manage and automate the software upgrade process and to ensure users upgrade to the exact release that IT has tested, without having to access an external server.
- Automatically download updates from Foxit servers and make them available on a local network.
- Automatically approve updates for users to download, or restrict users to only download approved updates.
- Set times when all users, or specific users/groups, can download updates.
- Push updates to users, requiring them to install them.
Issues Addressed in Foxit Reader 10.0.0.35798:
- Fixed some stability issues.
- PDF creation is not available in Foxit Reader 10.0.
v9.7 [29 Sep 2019]
Fixed some security and stability issues.
v9.6 [4 Jul 2019]
- PDF index searching.
Search PDF index using Advanced Search, which can greatly speed up searches in PDF files.
- More seamless integration with ECM.
- Add an option that allows you to create PDFs from files in SharePoint, Google Drive, and OneDrive.
- Enhanced integration with Alfresco helps users better manage and share PDF documents.
- Enable you to add Numbered lists to paragraphs when using Typewriter/Callout/Textbox features.
- Enhancements in digital signatures.
- Support Long Term Validation (LTV) for digital signatures in PDF, which is useful to ensure the document can be validated at any time in the future.
- Allow you to create a digital signature in compliance with PAdES standard.
- Place digital signatures on multiple files.
- Offer improvements in setting a scale ratio and calibrating the measurements in the document.
- Get annotation properties through JS.
- Add an option to scan a paper document to multiple PDF files directly.
- Provide a new-style user interface during the installation of the EXE package.
- Some other user-friendly enhancements.
v9.5 [10 Apr 2019]
New Features in Foxit PhantomPDF 22.214.171.12423:
- Epona DMSforLegal Integration: Use PhantomPDF to directly open/check out PDF files from Epona DMSforLegal and after making changes save/check them in to Epona DMSforLegal.
- Accessibility Features:
-Offer a visual and more efficient way to change reading order directly in the document view by drawing areas around the desired content and setting the reading order for the areas.
-Tag content as note, reference, and background/artifact with the Reading Ordercommand.
-Create a link tag automatically when creating link annotation from the context menu of the selected text in a tagged PDF.
- Viewing Article in PDF: Define a navigational path (or an article thread) for articles that arrange text content in multiple columns and pages, so that users can skim through the PDF like in a print newspaper or magazine, focusing on a specific article and ignoring the rest.
- Smooth Line Art: Provide an option to smooth lines when viewing a PDF that include CAD drawings, which also makes it faster to open the PDF.
- The Whiteout Tool: Allow user to simply and securely erase any content permanently to white background from a PDF with one click like an eraser, leaving no trace behind.
- Add pen and touch support to PhantomPDF for Microsoft Surface Pro.
Improvements in Foxit PhantomPDF 126.96.36.19923:
- Find & Search optimization
-Search and replace all the results instantly with the replacement text.
-Add additional criteria (document properties) in Advanced Search for searches across multiple PDFs and PDF indexes.
-Sort instances in the search results by date modified, filename, or location when searching files in a folder.
- Signatures and stamps enhancements
-Customize the appearance of digital signatures by drawing or importing a PDF file of your handwritten signature.
-Add an option to set the current size of the signature as default when placing a signature with the PDF Sign feature and the ability to place a signature or stamp by simply dragging a rectangle and filling in with the selected signature or stamp proportionally.
- Improvements in comparing files
Provide a much more clear and accurate compare result after comparison.
- For a PDF digitally signed several times, with the capability to view each signed version of the PDF, you can also view the changes made to each signed version, and compare a signed version to the current version you have.
- Enhance the HTML to PDF feature to directly create tagged PDF files by carrying over tags and other accessible information such as alt-text for images from the HTML file.
- Add shortcut keys for switching quickly between files in the multi-tab reading mode.
- Move and resize redaction markups before applying redactions.
- Insert entire PDF files including the file attachments to a document.
- Add an option to auto-detect portrait/landscape when printing PDFs.
- Remember last settings when organizing pages including rotating, extracting, and splitting.
- Some other user-friendly enhancements.
Issues Addressed in Foxit PhantomPDF 188.8.131.5223:
- Fixed an issue where some commenting tools could not work together with the Read Out Loud feature.
- Fixed an issue where the OCR running was very slow on a certain PDF document.
v9.4 [27 Dec 2018]
- Fixed some issues where the application could crash when performing the PDF Sign feature.
- Fixed an issue where the application could crash when opening certain XFA forms.
v9.3 [28 Sep 2018]
- Highlight the current reading content when you use Jaws to read a document, which streamlines your PDF workflow.
- Print PDFs using the custom settings in Print Dialog Presets if any. You can view the print dialog presets in the Properties in the File tab.
- Add an option to navigate back to SharePoint root folders when choosing from recent folders or accessing a new library that is not in the root folder.
- Some other user-friendly enhancements.
v9.2 [18 Jul 2018]
- Read and interact with PDFs using JAWS.
- Enable visually impaired users to read and interact with PDFs using JAWS (Job Access with Speech).
- Export measurement markups.
- Export and save measurement markup information in CSV file.
- Check certificate revocation status.
- Perform a revocation checking that determines whether the certificate that is used to digitally sign a PDF document has been revoked while validating a digital signature.
- Configure digital ID file.
- IT managers can configure which digital ID file is allowed to sign PDF files by users across a highly-regulated organization.
v8.3 [13 Apr 2017]
Easy and Secure File-sharing
Provides a plugin to share your file by generating a file link and sending it via email or to social media, under your full control by advanced settings to share content quickly, easily, and securely.
Some ease of use enhancements.
v8.1 [18 Oct 2016]
- Integrates with Box
- Integration with Box enables users to open PDFs files stored in Box directly from the Open menu, and save files to Box from the Save As menu.
- Foxit Archive integration
- Integrates with Foxit Archive, which is a secure, cloud-based, document management solution. Users can check in and out PDFs in Foxit Archive for easier document collaboration through Foxit Reader.
- Annotating enhancements
- Improved the workflow of all annotation tools, and allow users to change statuses of the annotations made by others in a shared review.
- Allow ConnectedPDF document owners to allow or disallow other users to start Connected Reviews or create new versions.
- Fixed some security and stability issues.
v8.0 [25 Mar 2015]
- Use ADAL (Active Directory Authentication Library) authentication to log into RMS in Foxit Reader (Enterprise Packaging) to open/decrypt PDFs without requiring the installation of the Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant
- Provides improvements to the ConnectedPDF feature as well as several user experience enhancements.
- Fixed some security and stability issues. Click here for details.
v7.3 [13 Jan 2016]
Fixed an issue where a PDF was not recognized or corrupted when opened.
Fixed an issue where form calculation did not work properly if an amount field has a decimal fraction.
Fixed security issues. Click here for details.
v7.0 [24 Sep 2014]
New Features in Foxit Reader 7.0
Shared Review for Desktop and Mobile Users
2D Barcode Displaying
Optimized PCL Printing
Free-form Annotation with PSI (Pressure Sensitive Ink)
Bi-directional Language Support
Signature Verification on XFA Forms
Friendly Ribbon Customization
Stronger Security from RMS Plugin (Enterprise Only)
Create PDFs with RMS Encryption (Enterprise Only)
Improvements in Foxit Reader 7.0
Text Copy with Formatting Maintained
SharePoint Network Drive Support
GPO Improvement (Enterprise Only)
Issues Addressed in Foxit Reader 7.0
Fixed the critical issues on Microsoft Touch Screen where:
1) Users cannot exit Full Screen Mode;
2) Users cannot bring out the context menu by tap-and-hold;
3) Users cannot move up or down the annotation objects.
Fixed an issue where an error prompted when users emailed a file with CJK characters in the file name if Windows locale was set to English.
v5.4 [6 Sep 2012]
Send, sign and save PDF documents using the industry's most widely used eSignature solution.
Social Network Integration
Share PDF information on your Facebook® and Twitter® accounts.
XFA Form Filling
XFA (XML Form Architecture) form filler is used to fill forms with XFA elements, allowing you to leverage existing XFA forms.
Read Out Loud
Listen to your PDF documents while you're on the go.
Change Your Reader Skin
Choose the look of your Reader from the basic skins with a few simple clicks.
Choose the Normal Toolbar Mode or Tabbed Toolbar Mode.
Better interface, nice operation interface and stable running.
The user-friendly layout, interface specification.
Further enhance the user experience.
Customize the shortcut keys
Create your own custom shortcut keystroke.
Make the user’s work quickly and efficiently.
Make it easier to complete common tasks
Support Tabbed Toolbar Mode
Reduce the toolbar.
Enhance the user experience.
Search the comment and bookmark
Easily find the text in the current PDF document the advanced search.
Better search accuracy.
Microsoft® SharePoint® and Active Directory® Rights Management Service integration
Decrypt and encrypt AD RMS 2.0 complaint PDF files.
Support Microsoft Office® Workflows.
Decrypt and open AD RMS 2.0 protected files on SharePoint servers.
SharePoint file check-in/check-out.
IRM Compliant - Complies with Microsoft's IRM Protection for PDF Specification Supplement for ISO 32000.
Display thumbnails of PDF files in Windows Explorer.
Shows a preview of the current document view.
Enable you to preview a PDF attachment in Microsoft® Outlook® 2003, 2007, and 2010.
Displays only the contents of the PDF page so that it will fit the width of the window.
View a PDF with the document pane divided into two panes (Split command) or four panes (Spreadsheet Split command).
Supports multiple window configurations, easily accessible.
Easily have any changes you make in one view be updated in the other.
Give the greater control to maximize productivity.
v5.0 [29 Aug 2011]
* Supports XFA form filling.
* Supports to open the RMS¨Cprotected PDFs with Foxit Reader.
* Supports to customize shortcut keys for various commands.
* Supports to reload the opened PDF document that is modified by other PDF tools.
* The new Split View mode allows you to divide the PDFs into two panes or four panes.
* Fit Visible mode enables the PDF pages to fit the width of the window.
* Supports Tabbed Toolbar Mode.
* Supports 11 different page transition types in the full screen mode.
* Offers four nice skins for appearance change.
* Supports to search keywords in the comment and bookmark.
* Enables you to preview a PDF attachment in Microsoft Outlook.
* Displays the PDF files in the Windows Explorer as the thumbnails if Foxit Reader has been set as the default PDF viewer.
* Adds more available command lines.
* Bug Fixes.
v3.1 [24 Aug 2009]
Finally, improvements on this version (3.1) are:
Now you can perform a direct search on Internet of any word or phrase in the document. The favorite toolbar can be customized according to your needs. A new panel for comments and all its features is now available. Also, the program's interface has been redesigned, and is more friendly now.
v3.0 [20 Nov 2008]
. Annotation control is now better with call-out commenting tools.
. New attachment panel is added to preview all the attached files with a PDF.
. Added support for Firefox.